Reading Media Theory: Thinkers, Approaches and Contexts Paperback
What does the Frankfurt School have to say about the creative industries? Does the spread of Google prove we now live in an information society? How is Madonna an example of postmodernism? How new is new media? Does the power of Facebook mean we're all media makers now?
This groundbreaking volume – part reader, part textbook - helps you to engage thoroughly with some of the major voices that have come to define the landscape of theory in media studies, from the public sphere to postmodernism, from mass communication theory to media effects, from production to reception and beyond. But much more than this, by providing assistance and questions directly alongside the readings, it crucially helps you develop the skills necessary to become a critical, informed and analytical reader.
Each reading is supported on the facing page by author annotations which provide comments, dissect the arguments, explain key ideas and terminology, make references to other relevant material, and pose questions that emerge from the text.
- Opening chapters: ‘What is theory?’ and ‘What is reading?’ bring alive the importance of both as key parts of media scholarship
- Pre-reading: substantial Introductory sections set each text and its author in context and show the relevance of the reading to contemporary culture
- Post-reading: Reflection sections summarise each reading’s key points and suggests further areas to explore and think about
- 4 types of annotations help you engage with the reading – context, content, structure, and writing style …. as well as questions to provoke further thought
- Split into 4 sections – Reading theory, Key thinkers and schools, Approaches and Media Theory in context
This product qualifies for FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99.99
Product Condition Class: RECERTIFIED GOOD - Product has visible signs of wear but is fully operational. Product has been professionally inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications. Original packaging may be opened. Original packaging may be damaged. The product may be in an alternative packing. Product is recertified by Big Box Outlet Store and your purchase is protected by our return and warranty policy unless otherwise specified. Please see product pictures and condition details. (CC)
Product Condition Details: